Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

So today starts Lent, I am not a super religious person, but I think it is a good thing to try and do and to try and teach my kids the value of giving up something for a period of time.

So as a family we decided to give up caffeine. I think the only one it will be hard for is Winter, well and Mike if he decides to do it I told him we were doing it and he could join if he wants. Anyway, we have not been giving caffeine to our little kids for a few weeks now because Zarley doesn't sleep well these days (yes I know my kids shouldn't have it it is bad for them but truth is they do have it, get over it.) my pediatrician(who is the best) and I came up with a plan to try to help the sleep problem, it has meant a lot of changes for us but I am trying to avoid sleeping pills so we are giving it our all.
1. No caffeine, including chocolate, that is hard for Zarley who can sit and eat a whole bag of chocolate chips by herself (yuck!). The Dr. said after dinner at least so I decided no caffeine period, no chocolate after dinner. I just couldn't do that to her.
2. More exercise. She does tumbling a couple times a week but sometimes I have to carry her in kicking and screaming but I feel it is worth it because it gets her out of the house, she likes it once she gets there and I leave, and it also gives her some social interaction. On the off days we are going to try and do something together because I need more exercise to maybe it will help me sleep better as well. I sleep in like 1 1/2 intervals it really sucks!
3. NO electronics after dinner time. No TV, no Nintendo DS, no Ipod nothing. This one is probably the hardest but it has actually been kind of nice.

Ok back to Lent so because of these changes I figured for Lent caffeine would be best, my little kids are already doing it and it isn't good for Winter and honestly I don't really drink it, although I have been drinking more Dr. Pepper lately than I have in a long time its so easy to get caught back in that damn trap so I figured this would get me back out. So as I explained what little I know about Lent to my kids and why we are doing it. Zar says to me I want to give up reading. I told her it couldn't be something she hates, that would be to easy it has to be something she loves. So she comes back a little later and says ok mom I am going to give up school for 40 weeks. I again told her it had to be something she loves not something she hates. She told Winter, I am going to tell mom I love school so I can give it up for 40 weeks. Don't tell her k! Winter: Zar you know 40 weeks is almost the whole year right? It isn't 40 weeks it's 40 days...Zar: oh man I thought I would have more time off. Then Zar comes to me and says: Mom I totally love going to tumbling, I think I am going to give it up for Lent. Mom: Zar your not giving that up that is good for you and you need to keep doing it, we are doing caffeine or you can give up TV. Zar: oh no way I can't give up TV I will do caffeine you don't let me drink it anymore anyway..... Finally she is getting it. She is pretty damn funny sometimes. Winter said I should give up water but that is just ridiculous you cant give up water.

I don't really know all the ins and outs of Lent but I think it will be a good learning experience for me and the kids. I guess we are kind of doing our own version of it. Something to make us healthier, something we are doing together. Anyone else doing anything like it?

2 comments:

Christenson's said...

I'm trying to decide between sugar and House, they are both going to be so hard! I think Tom is doing the soda thing and I don't know about my kids, Canyon wants to give up Church so....

Hilary said...

I've thought about this a lot -- I've tried to be more productive, thus giving up 'free time' stuff a little (like internet, TV), but I haven't committed to anything in particular. I love the idea of lent though, and would like to do something with it within my own family . . .