Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bitter Sweet

Today I took my kids swimming for the very first time as a single mom. I have actually never taken my kids swimming alone before, I usually go with my sister and her kids so her teenagers help or Winter and a friend who also help a little. Or with Mike but today I took my 3 little ones and one of my nieces all by myself. The kids go back on track next week and we have had a rough month trying to get caught up on things. I haven't grocery shopped or done anything so today was a special treat.
It was bitter sweet. I know I can handle all the kids in the pool now, I know Owen hasn't lost his swimming skills. Last time we went swimming both Mike and I were so impressed with how well he was doing its been so long I was a little worried he might have regressed but he hasn't.
It was different, I am a little short so we can't go as deep to jump off the edge as we would when Mike came with us but I still did it. Going in the lazy river isn't quite as fun with two kids you can't quite float them the same as you can just one, but I did it.
I can't exactly take pictures of the fun event because I am on my own and can't be in arms length as the rules state and taking pictures so I still have to find that balance.
I know this sounds stupid and I know that moms take their kids swimming and do that kind of stuff all the time, but for me this is a first of many and it is hard and good all that the same time. I was told earlier this week I couldn't do it on my own so I guess I look at it as me saying yes I can and just watch me do it.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

I don't think it sounds stupid at all -- taking several young kids out anywhere, especially somewhere you have to stick so close to them, like a pool, is tough -- and I think it's great you jumped in and proved you could!
I think sometimes we don't know what we're capable of until we dive in and just go for it -- and I think each time you try and succeed at something new, it'll just bolster your confidence to try more things.

Christenson's said...

I don't think its dumb either, I'm proud of you!! When I said I've taken mine alone before, I didn't mean to down play your giant amazing steps forward, let us not forget (my new favorite saying) I have never had 3 little at the same time! So great job I remember at Toms Grandma's funeral (well step grandma) Her kids talking about how when she got divorced she made it a point to still take her boys camping and how great she was for doing it by herself You can do hard things and your kids are lucky to have you!!! I know you can do it alone and the person who told you you can't doesn't know you and I love love the prove her wrong attitude!! Maybe one day you will even be able to take your kids all the way to Wendover!! haha

Natalie said...

Thanks for taking Lila. She had a great time. It is hard and stressful to take little ones places all by yourself, but you will get into a groove and it will get easier. You are amazing and strong and can do a whole lot more than you realize. You took yours and one extra. Pretty amazing!

andrewandshawnawhite said...

You are a great mom and your kids are lucky to have you!!! You are a great friend and person:-) i heard this quote once it went a little something like this... " you just have to live your life not caring what they think shake off the drama and prove to them you're better then they think you are" I think you are doing a great job!!! If you ever need some one to keep you company me and Brex would love to come;-) Karma is a Biotch

Jessi said...

I have trouble managing Q at the pool by myself. That is awesome you took your little ones and left feeling like it was a good experience! Kudos!